Friday 8 March 2013

Bath, Bristol and Wells, Oh My!

At the end of February me and my boyfriend took a little trip to the West Country to celebrate his birthday. Unfortunately I didn't get to sample any proper ciduuurr, but we did see plenty of flat caps and tractuuurrs, which meant that I sang 'I've got a brand new combine harvester' every time we got stuck behind one - which was quite often. To say that I dislike people trying to mimic my Yorkshire accent, I had a lot of fun trying to pretend I was from Somerset!

Our first day down south was spent in Bristol Zoo pretending to be lions. The trip got off to a sad start though, as there was a sign on the lion enclosure saying that their male lion had recently died. I only have to think about the Chris the Lion video and I get emotional, so you can imagine how I felt at the zoo. Things soon perked up though as we ventured into the Twilight Zone and saw some very cute slow lorris! I then fell in love with some red pandas and a baby gorilla. So cute!

































We also visited the penguin and seal enclosure, which had an underground section where you could watch them swimming around under the water. We returned to the seal section later on to watch them being fed and even perform some handstands, although we missed the penguin feeding as I got the times mixed up. We managed to see all of the animals and even visited the Twilight Zone again just incase the sloths had woken up, but they were just as slothlike as before. My kinda life.






























It was such a freezing day that we spent extra time in the meerkat section where it was toasty and warm. It was a pretty fun trip to the zoo, but I thought it was really strange how it was in the middle of the city! 

The next day we took a trip to Bath to see the Roman Baths and have a general wander around. I provided the in-car entertainment for the journey there:

Me: *whistling along to Muse*
C: *laughing* Why are you only whistling in one key? You sound like a demented owl.

My musical talents are clearly under appreciated...





























Bath was really pretty and it kind of reminded me of York a little bit. We did the whole touristy thing and took a tour inside the Roman Baths along with an open bus tour, which was freezing! There was a free audio tour inside the Baths but the best bits were the snippets of commentary by Bill Bryson, which were a bit more interesting than the standard one and a lot shorter!


The original plan was to also visit the spa that day, but the queue was super long and we were really chilly, so we decided to come back the next day. I didn't want to miss out on the open top rooftop pool! Please install one in my next house?


























On our final day we made a quick visit to Wells, which is where they filmed Hot Fuzz. I wish that I'd re-watched it just before we went so I could recognise the places a bit more, but it was funny to hear how they had to edit out the cathedral in post-production as it was supposed to be set in a village. 





























I had a really fun time in Somerset even though we picked the chilliest weekend for a trip away! Next time I think we'll do all the touristy things in my hometown - things that you just never seem to do because you live there! 

3 comments

  1. Sounds like a a good few days out!
    And Emma, you make a fantastic lion....haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did it was lots of fun :D Haha thanks, I know ;)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to visit Bath but it always just seems a long way way away from wherever I am haha (; Looks lovely though and zoos are some of my favourite places to visit, I get really absorbed into them and stand watching animals for ages (: xx

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© The Stones Inside My Shoes | A UK Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.