Thursday 18 March 2010

DVD Review - The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees
based on the novel by Sue Monk Kidd

*I haven't read the novel, so this review is based purely on the film.


Carrying on with my American south theme this film is set in 1960s South Carolina.

Wikipedia Plot Summary -
This is the tale of Lily Owens (Dakota Fanning), a 14-year-old girl who is haunted by the memory of her late mother Deborah Owens. To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father T-Ray, Lily flees with Rosaleen, her caregiver and only friend, to a South Carolina town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sisters — August (Queen Latifah), May and June (Alicia Keys) — Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping and develops a romance with her new friend Zach . She learns about female power as the Boatwright sisters show her their black Mary, her mother's past and much more.

Dakota Fanning puts in a stunning performance as usual. She is by far the best child actress in my opinion. Here's hoping that she won't go down the usual child-actor route...

Anyway, I did enjoy this film, but at times felt that the plot struggled between being about the Boatwright sisters and their bees, and Lily Owens's search for her dead mother's past. The tension that's created in the opening scenes continuously dwindles to the very end where we end up sunk into a honeyed lull of 'everything's going to be ok now'. I guess I don't like happy endings that much.

Good, but not a must-see
3 and a half stars out of 5

xx

2 comments

  1. Hey! Thank you so much for your comment :D It really made my day. I like serendipity too hehe.

    I have been meaning to read this book, it sounds good. And I think Dakota Fanning is my fav too, apart from maybe Abigail Breslin :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reviews! I've read the book but not seen the film, I agree I love Dakota, I will definately have a look out for this film, as the book was fab! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!

Latest Instagrams

© The Stones Inside My Shoes | A UK Lifestyle Blog. Design by FCD.